Thursday 5 November 2009

This Ain't No Street Life

I've never been a South Ken kinda girl. Don't get me wrong, there are some delightfully pretty streets and hidden corners in the area, and the superb Michelin Bibendum towering over Old Brompton Road never ceases to amaze me every time I walk by it. The art deco beauty of the monument is a great reminder that London architecture is not all colonial perfection and manicured gardens. But within this fancy and quaint, almost too perfect-for-words residential area, lies a bejeweled street filled with Antique gems, delicious gourmet delis and pip (posh and hip) lounge bars and pubs. 


This wonderfully whimsical street is nothing less than a smaller, less commercial version of the neighboring Knightsbridge Sloane Street. This street is called Walton Street, and it makes for a glamorous Saturday afternoon walk, or even a quick and dirty weekday lunch break.


Start the walk with some fresh and wild Atlantic salmon or a warm and cozy batch of meaty and cheesy lasagna at Jak's . Stay in or take away from this deliciously homey "joint" and you'll want to return every day for the rest of your life. 




For my male zesty readers (I probably lost you at "glamorous"), don't forget to stop by Bentley's Antique shop for an experience yon won't ever forget. You'll want to buy everything on the shelves, from the vintage backgammon boards to the dismantled wooden airplane propellers. You'll even want to bring the smell of old books home with you. 


Of course, you will find the obvious posh Eclipse bar with the obvious banker crowd, but you can also settle for a nice chilled beer at The Enterprise , and especially enjoy it out on their outdoor tables on a warm autumn day.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not really a South Ken girl either, but it's fun to visit sometimes. I found your blog a few days ago, and I'm really enjoying it...in fact I've now read all your posts! I especially love the foodie ones! Keep up the great blogging! Samantha xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plus there are the cutest baby and children's shops on Walton Street. I know, it's not really of great interest to you right now, but once there is a Baby Bembel...
    xx MM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everybody says: Thank you for the support! Just returned the compliment at yours:)

    MM: I'm not there yet! Lets slow things down a bit:) Baby Bembel would be incredible cute though...imagine the booty on that one! xxx

    ReplyDelete